RE: DB12c in Production?

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:39:54 -0700

re: adoption rate seems abnormally low
What is the motivation to upgrade? I drove a 1986 Saturn SL1 from 1996 until
2013. It had close to 300,000 miles on it by the time I upgraded to a Prius
hybrid with all the options including faux-leather seats. My "refresh cycle"
was 17 years. For 17 years it took me everywhere I needed to go including long
road trips.
Pluggable databases are presumably the principal motivation to move to 12c but
the pluggable database option is an extra-cost option. Besides, only
enterprise-edition customers may license it. Since it's a new option, it won't
be included in existing contracts. And, of course, you must be willing to go
through all the testing and effort entailed by an upgrade.
There are some backdoors as has been pointed out. For example, RMAN and Grid
Control include a license for Oracle database. Off-the-shelf applications
commonly include a license for Oracle Database but they need to justify the
effort and expense just like everybody else.
Kindest regards,
Iggy
P.S. The old car was still in good condition except that the driver-side window
no longer worked. Even the paint was in good condition because I had always
parked it in my garage. It's book value was less than $200 so I gave it to a
student who happily continues to drive it and keeps it cleaner than I ever did.
He even posted a picture of himself with the car on Facebook.
-- Iggy FernandezEmail: iggy_fernandez@hotmail.comCellphone: (925) 478
3161Blog: So Many Manuals So Little Time
Author of Beginning Oracle Database 11g AdministrationEditor of the NoCOUG
JournalLecturer at University of Washington Professional and Continuing
Education

From: cameron.hodge@xxxxxxxx
To: k3nnyp@xxxxxxxxx; james.clarence.allen@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 07:01:52 +0800
Subject: RE: DB12c in Production?

    Kenny,We’ve got 12c in Prod for our RMAN Catalogues.  However most (all) of
our 3rd Party applications are not yet certified with 12c and like most
businesses we stay on a supported DB release so that the 3rd party companies
cannot just turn around and say “it’s because you’re on 12c” if we run into any
problems. I doubt we’d run into any issues on 12c as the majority of apps
written for  databases utilisze just the basics (tables, triggers, views,
procedures/packages) but “just in case”.       From:
oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Kenny Payton
Sent: Saturday, 12 April 2014 1:25 AM
To: james.clarence.allen@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DB12c in Production? I asked a similar question a week ago on here
and didn’t get any replies where they were actually in production.   I’m at
IOUG this week and out of all of the sessions I have attended not 1 person has
raised their hand when this question has been asked to the audience.  I’m sure
they exist but adoption rate seems abnormally low.  The dogma of R2 being the
real R1 seems to be strong with this release. Kenny    On Apr 11, 2014, at
10:45 AM, james.clarence.allen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Anyone, Is anyone (or know of anyone) currently using DB12c in production? I am
having trouble finding shops using DB12c for production.  I wouldlike to read
how things are going and if 12.1.0.1.0 is stable enough tobe in production. I
read where SAP is waiting for 12.1.0.2 before certifyingit.  Sincerely,Jim Allen
Database Support Lead, MASSDB
Tel: 301-763-7501
Database Help Desk: X34944
Support Email: James.Clarence.Allen@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://epd.econ.census.gov/offices/massdb/--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

 This email contains confidential information. The contents must

not be disclosed to anyone else except with the authority of the sender.

Unauthorised recipients are requested to maintain this confidentiality and

immediately advise the sender of any error or misdirection in transmission.

GIF image