Re: DB12c in Production?

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 12:20:51 +0100

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Three things come to mind
>
> 1) The non-multi-tenant architecture is known as the 'Pre-12c'
> architecture.  In other words, in the future, we will have no choice.

I agree that the wording and marketing tends to point in that direction.
However I consider it unlikely that the old architecture will disappear any
time soon for one major reason. Multi-tenant has been introduced as an
extra cost option, and its an option I think a reasonable number of
customers, but by no means all will pay for. A future decision for Oracle
to drop support for the option would have to do one or more of the below
(or some other smart alternative).

   - make multi-tenant part of the base license killing a revenue stream.
   - make existing customers who don't see value in multi-tenant pay for it
   (reducing a revenue stream).
   - make it cost neutral or advantageous to move to multi-tenant (perhaps
   by playing with overall discount rates for those who purchase it)
   - allow multi-tenant for SE customers

I suspect that any of the above will be difficult and have unexpected side
effects.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA