Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

  • From: Thomas Day <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:07:53 -0800

I'm not from the bear-skin rugs and stone knives computing era but my
first paying computer job was in 1967 and I agree completely with the
two previous posters.  The oldest computer "geek" that I knew was the
wife of one of my tutors.  She was programming Hollerith machines in
Germany in 1933 but left because of the activities of one A. Hitler.

But back to the Junior DBA thing --

It's a JUNIOR DBA.  They're going to be working and learning toward
becoming a Senior DBA, hopefully.  What you want is someone who
recognizes their limitations and will not cost you a lot of money in
database crashes while they do learn.  The OCP is no substitute for
experience and may even be dangerous in that it gives the holder a
false sense of compentence.

To those of you with experience and an OCP, my hat's off to you.  Well
done.  So far I've been lucky and my employers have been willing to
accept 27 years of database experiece in lieu of an OCP.  If the day
ever comes when I MUST get an OCP to work then I'll treat it as part
of the "rent" that I have to pay --- sort of like "dues" to the
Teamsters Union.