Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:07:53 -0800, Thomas Day <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  The OCP is no substitute for
> experience and may even be dangerous in that it gives the holder a
> false sense of compentence.

If you're an actor and start playing a recurring/regular role as a
doctor on ER (stay with me, this is relevant honest) on your first day
you're taken aside by one of the real doctors they have on set as an
advisor and told:  "After a a few years of this you'll think you know
enough to actually do some of these things for real.  You won't.
You'll know just enough to be dangerous."

Based on having done the 9i DBA track courses (and a couple of  the 8i
DBA track) that prepare you for the exams and having sat a couple of
the exams (and scored 90%+ on the exam prep tests for all of them, 8i
and 9i), along with working along side a number of consultants and
contractors who were OCP certified (frequently fixing whatever foul up
they've managed to create), that's pretty much how I view the OCP.
Knows enough to be dangerous.

There are people with OCP certification who are good DBAs, thing is
they're the ones who were good DBAs before they took the exams.

I think the problem is two fold.  In the exams the questions seem to
have been written more for being about things that are easy to ask
multi-guess questions about than things that are likely to come up in
real life.  The second aspect is that candidates seem to approach the
exams like they would a test in school, cram for the test then forget
everything before moving onto the next test.  Neither of these
problems are unique to the OCP, they seem to apply to pretty much any
certification programme

I'm not trying to say that I'm an expert, I've only been doing this
for 8 years.

Anyhow, I've got enough letters after my name already.

Stephen