Re: ASM of any significant value when switching to Direct NFS / NetApp / non-RAC?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:24:43 +1000

Connor McDonald wrote,on my timestamp of 9/08/2012 5:49 PM:
> For what its worth, we're a NetApp shop on DNFS, and have never had any
> justification to use ASM...
> Unless there are political games between storage and database admins, why
> bother ?

Aye, too true.  EMC Symmetrix/SRDF here, never felt the need for ASM.
Besides: I doubt ASM can handle DB2/MSSQL/Outlook/Wintel/VMware environments as
well. EMC can. In the same SAN.
Did that last simple fact stop Oracle sales/"experts" from spending the last 5
years telling my management I'm a "bad dba" because I don't need to use ASM?
Nope...

> DNFS gives great performance, file management becomes a doddle (adding
> nodes is pretty much plug-any-play), and there's myriad of NetApp goodies
> should wish to take advantage of them...

It also likely supports a little more than just Oracle databases?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto