Re: ASM of any significant value when switching to Direct NFS / NetApp / non-RAC?

  • From: Dana Nibby <dananrg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 06:07:13 -0700 (PDT)

Anything that reduces politics typically increases efficiency and
effectiveness. Politics, while I suppose they are necessary--it's the way some
people Get Things Done (and so can't be completely avoided)--seem to me largely
to be a drain on brainpower and lead to inefficient deployment of staff
resources. The goal should always be to increase efficiency and customer
satisfaction. And not to Build Personal "Empires" and engage in other
hoarding/face-saving activities. I don't believe IT is a zero sum game. It is,
or ought to be, a Team Sport (and I am no fan of sports; but it's a helpful
analogy).

If "no ASM" is the right way to go for the best interests of the customer, I'm
100% on-board withat that. I'm of the perhaps naive opinion that, in
environments where there are many levels of separation of duty, that we all
work on the same team. There is, or should not be, an "Us versus Them"
mentality. The correct question to ask is nearly always this: what
constellation of technologies is best for downstream customer productivity. And
"if that's wrong, I don't wanna be right." :-)

Best,

Dana