Re: ASM of any significant value when switching to Direct NFS / NetApp / non-RAC?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:47:52 +1000

Andrew Kerber wrote,on my timestamp of 10/08/2012 1:21 AM:
> I dont understand the commentt about db2/mssql/outlook/wintel/vmware.  ASM is
> used for oracle, but it can coexist on the same SAN with DB2 etc.

That's OK.  Yes.

> You just give
> ASM raw partitions, and the others file systems.

The others can use raw partitions as well.
In fact with a modern SAN, there is no such thing as "partitions" anymore.

> You also reduce the chance of
> user (and DBA) error by giving ASM partitions rather than file systems.

Not really.  There is nothing in ASM that reduces any risk of error, whatever
"error" may mean in your context. Yes, I am aware of the mirroring in ASM: that
is NOT what I'm talking about!

> Now if
> your SAN is not capable of handing out raw slices that is another issue
> entirely, but that seems kind of unlikely.

I said it was a Symmetrix from EMC, with SRDF.  Read about it.  It's a little
bit more sophisticated, powerful and flexible than an Apple X-raid.  Slightly.

Tim Gorman put it clearly.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto