[optacon-l] Re: OT Accessible Point of Sale Terminals

  • From: MikeD <donegan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:50:40 -0400

The POS terminals in Canada take a card with an in-beded chip. Called a
'Chip" card.
The terminals will ask the user to insert the card in a slot in the bottom
or to 'tap' the card on the reader.

If you have to insert the card you have to enter your PIN, if you can
'tap' then you
  don't have to enter anything. Your purchase is approved or not.

The 'tap' feature is available on the newer readers, usually for lower
value purchases,
typically at a coffee shop drive by, but the gas station I go to allows
gas purchases by tapping
the card, which then prints a customer receipt and a vendor copy, with
no signature required.
So Carrie this might help you. I don't know who sets the tap limit.

In the US the 'chipped' cards has barely got started, I was in the
States last summer and all
my credit card purchases had to be swiped and signed.

As for the PIN entry, I haven't seen any terminals that change the
layout to prevent others
from seeing the pin numbers typed, but there usually are small screens
around the pad to make
other seeing the numbers.

One way to prevent 'spying' would be to fake typing one or two extra
numbers, before or after
the 4 digits needed. Also use your other hand to shield the pad.
Most if not all people, I have seen look away, so as not to be seen
spying on you.

Mike Donegan, sighted friend of Charles