[optacon-l] OT Accessible Point of Sale Terminals

  • From: "Carrie Green" <midorikeri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Optacon List" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:54:10 -0600

Dear Listers,
Thank you to those that have responded to my query. However, my point of the
email is to actually get the point of sale developers to make their current
point of sale terminals accessible to us now. I cannot understand why this
cannot be done, and am willing to make an effort for us blind customers and
merchants to do this. I am hoping to contact anyone who may have knowledge of
any developments with any point of sale developer with regards to built-in
accessibility via speaker/earphone jack. I am guessing my last email with
regards to this issue was not clear enough as individuals are suggesting
alternatives to the current POS terminal I have here at my business, which is
great, but not the answer I'm looking for. Different countries have extremely
high-security with regards to Point of sale terminals such as Canada, and going
with an older machine, will not work with the current security technology, or
work with interac debit (direct from bank account via client card), such as
Square, as some will only accept credit cards or debit credit cards).
Accessibility needs to be developed in to the machine as they are being
developed at the factory or wherever they do such things.

Hopefully I've made myself a little more understandable, and I'd be grateful
for any information.

Sincerely,

Carrie Green