[optacon-l] Re: OT Accessible Point of Sale Terminals

  • From: "Anne Telfer" <anne_telfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:28:35 +0100

Well said Charles!

Here in the UK after much campaigning we now have some talking ATM's but you
won't catch me using one. I would definitely not feel safe standing there in
the street or even in a shop with my long cane with headphones on (or even
an earpiece in).  I get my cash  by paying with a debit card in supermarkets
via the cashback service.  I find our CHIP and PIN terminals very simple to
use as they all use a pretty standard layout.  The 5 key is always marked
and the Enter key is always bottom right.  I realise that in other countries
POS terminals may not be so easy to use and there may not be shops that
provide a cashback service. If people on the list have this option though I
thoroughly recommend it cash and shopping at the same time with a Cashier
watching and helping if necessary.  You can also ask for the notes and even
coins you prefer!

Anne