[opendtv] Re: US DTV Patent Royalties Range From $24 to $40

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 21:38:55 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Not true.
>
> The ATSC royalties add up to either $5.00 or $10.00 per unit that I can
> tell, the latter being if whatever Funai patents hold up. I cannot make
> heads or tails of the others.
>
> EVEN IF you had only dumb monitors, *something* in your TV viewing chain
> would be paying all of the non-ATSC royalties regardless. That's what
> you keep missing. Whether it's program guides, copy protection schemes,
> digital baseband interfaces, tru2way, LED back lighting, plasma
> burn-through protection, you name it.

It does not matter if something in the chain is still causing you to pay
royalties for each item.  You pay the duplicate $24-40 royalties for
those items in your TV.  You don't get a two (or more)for one discount
for all the other places you have paid the same royalties.  Maybe you
should, but you don't.

Though I'm otherwise not really against having tuners in displays, even
though I mostly don't use mine.

- Tom