[opendtv] Re: US DTV Patent Royalties Range From $24 to $40

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:28:15 -0400

The two-carrier system using QAM that was advocated by Sarnoff Labs was not
adopted as the TSC standard.  General Instruments was a proponent of a QAM
system and this prevailed for cable. As I recall,  Sarnoff Labs favored the
GI approach over Zenith's.

The vestigial-sideband AM system proposed by Zenith was adopted as the ATSC
standard.  This was based on the results of a bake-off between their system
and GI's.  Zenith/LGE is very good at using its basic strengths in receiver
design to win bake-offs, whether or not their system is theoretically
superior.  Zenith had some good inventors at the time; Rich Citta comes to
mind, but there were others.

The strength of the Thomson patent estate is not based on its having patents
on the ATSC transmission system.  Its the patents that are the basis for
royalty income, not just participating in ATSC.  Zenith/LGE and Thomson/RCA
were always very active in patent licensing endeavors, which also helps in
getting the most returns on R & D dollars spent.

Samsung Electronics, my former employer, owns a number of receiver patents
on the ATSC systems.

Al