[opendtv] Re: US DTV Patent Royalties Range From $24 to $40

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:31:38 -0400

Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
> You mis-read the article, Tom.  Vizio is suing Funai to stop them from
> importing TVs.  You'll be able to buy a Vizio next year.

But I think it goes back a bit further than that, with Vizio protesting
Funai's patents.
See:
<http://www.uslaw.com/library/Corporate_&_Securities_Law/Vizio_Files_Monopolization_Suit_Funai.php?item=380862>

---quote (feb 15)-----
VIZIO, Inc., America’s HDTV Company, announced today that it has filed
an antitrust and unfair competition lawsuit in the United States
District Court, Central District of California, against Funai
Electronics Co., Ltd., a Japanese distributor of digital televisions and
related components. In the suit, VIZIO, a U.S. company based in Irvine,
California, alleges that its competitor, Funai, acting alone and in
concert with others, unlawfully restrained trade and monopolized the
market for the licensing of technology used to interpret and retrieve
information from a digital television broadcast signal, as well as the
market for digital television sets and receivers.  In the federal
complaint, VIZIO alleges that Funai unlawfully acquired the rights to
U.S. patent No. 6,115,074 (the “‘074 patent”), which is subject to a
standards setting organization overseeing digital television
manufacturers, and has since unlawfully and unfairly discriminated
against VIZIO in the licensing and enforcement of the ‘074 patent, to
the detriment of trade and commerce. VIZIO’s suit alleges that, in so
doing, Funai has violated the federal Sherman Antitrust Act, the Clayton
Act, and numerous provisions of California’s unfair competition and
antitrust laws.
---/quote----

And while the USPTO has invalidate a couple of the Funai patents it
looks like the U.S. International Trade Commission has still ruled to
block Vizio imports if nothing changes soon.  See:
<http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/20001/stop-the-funai-business-vizio-sues-over-patent-infringement>

---quote---
The move is just the latest broadside in the patent battle between the
two companies: the United States Patent and Trademark Office issued a
final rejection Funai patents (including the controversial 6,115,074
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,115,074.PN.&OS=PN/6,115,074&RS=PN/6,115,074>),
which is basically the final step towards it being declared invalid. But
then the U.S. International Trade Commission ruled in /favor/ of Funai,
and issued an order blocking Vizio from importing HDTVs into the United
States, subject to presidential review.
---/quote---

So I don't think I mis-read it.  Patents may block my favorite TV deals
from being available in the future.

Apologies in advance if all these various links and quotes don't make it.

- Tom