[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:35:30 -0500

Mike,

I'm sorry, then I missed your point regarding ATSC and VBR.  VBR of a single
stream is useful on a storage medium because the total capacity of the storage
medium is fixed, and VBR can be used to maximize the program length held within
that fixed capacity.

VBR on a single transmission stream, where the limiting factor is the
transmission rate, would only result in increased null packets to stuff the
transport stream.

Therefore it would be pointless to apply VBR  to a single ATSC program.
However, VBR does exist in multiplexed ATSC streams, as we both apparently
agree.

John