[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:18:17 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Tom Barry wrote:
>

>>> If we are really to believe that 1080/60p takes up no more
>>> channel capacity than 720/60p, then we are also claiming
>>> that 720/60p takes up no more channel capacity than 480/60p,
>>> and by logical extension, 1080/60p takes up no more channel
>>> capacity than 480/60p.
>>>
>> What evidence is there that 1080p takes no more channel
>> capacity than 720p?  Even if both are filtered to 720 line
>> effective resolution I do not believe this.  There would
>> still be some extra overhead.
>>

> Are you asking me? I totally agree with you. I've always doubted these
> truisms.
>
> Bert

Okay. Just checking. ;-)

Though there are a couple of "truisms" that I DO believe:

1) Increasing the frame rate for compressed video will like decrease the
number of needed bits per frame to keep the same quality for lossy
encoded video.

2) Increasing the encoded bit depth (say 16 bit instead of 8 bit color)
will likely maintain or even decrease the number of needed bits needed
for the same quality of lossy encoded video.

Not sure whether either of these would be controversial but I don't want
them confused with some of the other claims.

- Tom