[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

  • From: "Mike Tsinberg" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:00:14 +0000

Blu Ray is using H.264/MPEG4/VC1 as well as MPEG2 compression codecs. ATSC and
DVD are using MPEG2 compression codecs. H.264/MPEG4/VC1 are more advanced and
more efficient systems then MPEG2. You also have to be careful if coding is
done with VBR (Variable Bit Rate) or in CBR (Contsnat Bit Rate) style. VBR's
for any codec is more efficient then CBR. The broadcasting such as ATSC can
only be done in CBR. The disc recording (Blu Ray or DVD) can and should be done
in VBR. Therefore 1080p coded with H.264/MPEG4/VC1 in VBR may as well take
similar or even less data space as 720p coded with MPEG2 in CBR and with
similar quality.

Mike Tsinberg
http://www.keydigital.com