[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Hopefully when broadcasters are provided the opportunity to
> try "one more time" to come up with a decent standard for OTA
> broadcasting they will let go of ALL of the legacy technology
> that seemed so important when the "first" DTV transition began

Much ado about nothing, Craig.

Broadcasters have had all along an alternative to 1080i. The only resason for
1080i was that the first HD cameras output 1080i and, since the first HD sets
were CRTs, that made some sense. It avoidee having to deinterlace.

We all know that now HD CRTs are virtually gone, and that cameras don't output
1080i, so the options of 720p or 1080p for transmission are obvious ones.

I noticed, for example, that WETA (our PBS station) changed from 1080i to 720p
some time ago (not sure exactyl when, but I'm sure that they did). Makes sense
to me.

I'm amazed at how much of a big deal was made of the one 1080i mode in the HDTV
standards, back then.