[opendtv] Re: Radical Proposal for Change

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:58:02 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> If broadcasters still own their spectrum and such as Qualcomm are
> successful using similar spectrum for mobile and fixed by default
> reception (look at what Sirius and XM are doing with their radio to
> fixed receivers in the home) you can expect that broadcasters will want
> to play. That will mean a mobile capable modulation. When the time comes
> it will not matter what the installed base of 8-VSB is in my opinion,
> broadcasters will get what they want.
>
> Bob Miller

Quite likely, but by that time it will probably not be called TV but
instead mobile video or something.  And there won't be a "transition"
but instead an increasing number of mobile video providers and a
steadily declining number of successful cable huggers.

The item to watch for will be the first big network signing
non-exclusive contracts with local TV stations that allow the same or
similar channels to be sold to mobile video, and eventually also
directly to cable.

- Tom