[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:42:30 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > Video is going to proliferate at MANY resolutions, according to the
 > requirements of the applications - from video on cell phones and PDAs
 > to HD on the big panel display hanging on the wall. Please stop
 > trying to make force the future of motioning imaging into one rather
 > poorly designed box.

I think I've posted this before but I'll go you one better on this one.

I think it is only a limitation of current block based codecs that
compressed video even HAS a resolution.  Current codecs tend to keep a
fixed resolution but decrease the precision when they start to run out
of bits.  But (wavelet codecs are better at this) it would probably be
desirable to encode such that your stat mux can instead variably
decrease the resolution as needed for high motion scenes, thin pipes, or
  busy prime time when there happens to be high needs from other
channels in the pipe.

Thus high bit rate compressed source could be send at variable bit rates
for different times and needs, without the extra artifacts of re-encoding.

I've heard it said that if you are re-encoding with MPEG2 you have to
start off with about twice the target bit rate to avoid artifacts.  If
so, this is a shame, and would be unnecessary with adjustable resolution
coding of some sort.

But practically everybody encoding something these days is already
starting from a pre-encoded source so it would be better if we could
just alter the bit rate of that instead of real time re-encoding.
Overlays, logos, etc. would be separate objects.

Thus I'd predict we eventually will have compressed video that has a MAX
resolution but not a fixed one and we can then just rate shape
everything from a single source to multiple targets such as sub-channels
and cell phones.  Each step along the way might discard a bit more as
needed.  But the master archives would be pre-encoded at highest quality.

Apart from being incompatible with basically everything in the world
does anyone see a downside to this?

- Tom