[opendtv] Re: Radical Proposal for Change

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:10:09 -0500

At 12:45 PM -0500 1/22/05, Stephen W. Long wrote:
>Now that M. Powell is leaving the FCC, does anyone believe there might be a
>glimmer of a chance of revisiting the FCC decision for 8VSB?

No.

The problems surrounding the DTV transition have NOTHING to do with technology.

The place to start is to let the marketplace work.

This means getting the FCC and Congress out of the way. Fat chance of that.

As we are seeing in many other areas of government (e.g. the Social
Security debate), it takes time to tear down legacy infrastructures,
not to mention the regulatory infrastructure that has led to the
control of the mass media by a handful of powerful media
conglomerates.

There are only two ways in which a meaningful change can happen.

1. The public becomes sufficiently upset to call for an end to the
shenanigans that have led to the current situation where we pay for
advertiser supported content...through the nose. Or they just stop
watching.

2. Local broadcasters form a new grass roots organization to fight
the powerful interests that seek total control over the distribution
of digital media content.

We have much bigger fish to fry that the dumb 8VSB decision.

If you fix the other problems the marketplace will make the right
decisions about technology - there can be no viable marketplace if
you cannot support a reliable service.