[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's AG-HVX200

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:04:56 +0100

No, it's a multiplier all right. Generally it deals with small-signal
excursions. This means that the mtf can exceed unity, where contrast is
actually enhanced. This odd situation happens in negative film, where grains
migrate towards each other under ionic attractive forces while the layers
are wet during processing. The 1-dimensional MTF plot of mtf versus
frequency is actually a frequency response, the mtf value at any frequency
is the gain (or attenuation) at that frequency.

If you know the MTF you can correct for it by building a multiplying
correction in the same number of dimensions. At it's crudest, this is the
"aperture correction" found in cameras (not "detail correction", that's a
subjective mangling of the frequency response).