[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's AG-HVX200 (was: 20050419 Twang's Tuesday Tribune)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:57:12 -0400

At 2:45 PM -0400 4/21/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>Does this supersede your prediction that HDTV will forever remain a
>niche market?

I never said it would forever be a niche market. I have said that it
will not replace SDTV, but rather, co-exist in a world that has many
levels of resolution that are appropriate to specific task and
applications. I still believe that this will be the reality.

That being said, the tools to acquire high quality images properly
are becoming more affordable and more flexible. The Panasonic camera
gives the owner the flexibility to choose the appropriate level of
resolution and compression for each job. And the use of an HD sensor
means that even SD formats will benefit (i.e. the MTF story). What is
likely in my opinion is that we will see 720P become the defacto
emission format for HDTV, with upsampling to 1080P on large screens
that need the extra pixels. And we will see progressive square pixel
formats below 720P for applications where bandwidth is limited, or
the application does not need HD resolution.

Once you are in a world of progressive image capture, you can move up
or down or sideways as needed. Formats will become meaningless, as
they are today in the world of personal computers. Or to put this
into more appropriate terms, products will be flexible enough to
support variable rasters sizes and frame rates.