[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's AG-HVX200 (was: 20050419 Twang's Tuesday Tribune)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:29:35 -0400

At 11:21 AM -0400 4/25/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>On 25-Apr-05, at 8:57 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  I never said it would forever be a niche market.
>
>Oh I think that's debatable - at the very least.
>
>>  What is
>>  likely in my opinion is that we will see 720P become the defacto
>>  emission format for HDTV, with upsampling to 1080P on large screens
>>  that need the extra pixels.
>
>You've seen the price and quality of HD acquisition drop rapidly over
>the last few years, and storage is relatively cheap.  So why stop at
>720p and not 1080p?  Why not acquire at the best resolution you can and
>DOWNsample?

Pay attention John!!

:-)

I said 720P would become the defacto EMISSION format. And that big
screens that need more than 720P resolution will upsample to 1080P.
There were several 1080P image processors/de-interlacers introduced
at NAB (Terranex/Silicon Optix and Gennum) that clearly demonstrate
that 720P is more than adequate as the source for upconversion).

As I have been saying for years, acquisition is decoupled from
emission. Oversampling is a good thing, and as Mark tells us, we can
push more detail under the usable portion of the MTF curve when we
downsample for emission coding.

1080@60P acquisition will become a realty within a few years,
however, it is still going to be quite expensive because of the size
of the pipes that are needed to push it around uncompressed and the
MIPs needed to process it in real-time. And there is the reality that
the current generation of trucks being used for HD event coverage
cannot support 1080@60P - these investments must be amortized.

For the near future, 1080@24P will be used as a film substitute, and
720@60P will become the dominant format for sports (it will be
interesting to see what NBC chooses for Sunday Night Football).

And Hollywood will continue to push for even higher pixel densities
for 25P acquisition.