[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's AG-HVX200 (was: 20050419 Twang's Tuesday Tribune)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:37:23 -0400

Seems that tomshardware knows more about this camera than the
Japanese engineers who are designing it. The imaging chips are still
in the design phase and my top contacts at Panasonic indicate that
they do not know what the final numbers will be...yet.

The actual resolution really is mostly irrelevant, as long as the
sensor can read progressive frames at the highest frame rates.
Internal scaling can deal with the downsampling for the SDTV and EDTV
formats, and the side step to 1080i. There is little interest here in
the 1080i formats, but customers in Japan must be served, so the
camera is being designed to support everyone.

This is close to the camera I have been asking for for a decade. We
have turned a corner and are moving full square into the digital
world, where formats, compression codecs, and recording media are
just user options, which can be optimized for the acquisition
requirements for each application. Things are only going to bet
better and more flexible from here.

The end of the era of the CRT is at hand. I can predict with fair
certainty now that 1920 x 1080 at 60i will evolve into 1920 x
1080@60P within the next five years. Interlace will remain a legacy
SDTV issue, and progressive acquisition will finally become the
defacto requirement.

There is real progress on many fronts at this NAB. Now all we need is
for all of these changes to trickle up into the world of
broadcasters. They will be the last to go digital.