[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:04:04 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>At 9:12 AM -0700 11/18/04, GerryK wrote:
>

>>by late 2005, we will see that the integrated TV sets, with built-in
>>features,
>>will become the bulk of the consumer digital TV market
>>

>If you say so...
>
>For sets larger than 36" the consumer may have no choice (because of
>the FCC receiver mandates), especially if monitors sell for the same
>price as integrated sets. If, however, monitors are cheaper, then I
>suspect that you will be proven wrong.
>
>Regards
>Craig

If they sell for the same price then the manufacturer is giving away the
receiver. No brainer you take the receiver. The question is why would
the manufacturer do that? What do they get in return that this makes sense?

I understand that at some very low price it makes sense to just include
an NTSC tuner then bother with having two different products but at
current ATSC receiver prices I don't think that is a reality.

Bob Miller