[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

MORRIS WROTE:
> Different animal -- this is for digital cable, whereas the Zenith/LAG chip
> is
> for OTA.

ATI Announced:
>The NXT2003 is the industry's first single chip *off-air* DTV and
>unidirectional cable receiver.

The FCC requires that Digital Cable Ready DTV sets include an off-air DTV
receiver and that is what the announcement states is included in the ATI
package. The Zenith 5th Gen technology could have been integrated into such
an application, though it was likely not available in the desired time
frame.

My point is that the 5th Generation technology will not be mass marketed to
consumers anytime soon. To my knowledge, the only manufacturers who are
committed to 5th Gen are Zenith/LG (of course) and Philips.