[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:59:11 -0800

Bert wrote:
> Not quite. My real message was, why do you feel you
> must have a single champion to "save DTT"?

Your real message?? In the military they use the term "Mission Creep", which
describes the changing of ones stated goals until the true objective is
achieved. In your case I'll call it "Message Creep" where your real
objective seems simply to win the debate. Clearly I never argued that a
reception solution should be single sourced. There currently is only one
source of that solution. I do wish there were more but don't expect that to
happen in the near term.

> We already know that Micronas bought Linx in order
> to have their ATSC technology, yes? Do you really
> think that a Micronas offering won't match up?

They didn't purchase ATSC technology, they simply purchased an
equalization/processing technology that can be applied to both 8VSB and
COFDM. Has Micronas announced a new 8VSB product?  Not that I'm aware of at
least. The previous Linx initiative seems to be dead or at least on the back
burner at Micronas.