[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:38:12 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Well - so much for the Zenith/LG 5th Generation technology
> saving DTTV. Unless, of course,  ATI has developed or
> licensed an equivalent product of which I'm unaware.

First of all, I would expect many manufacturers are out
there developing products to compete with the 5th gen LG
tuner, or the upcoming ones from Micronas (ex-Linx).

But more importantly, we don't know how well this ATI
tuner works for DTT. Some of these integrated DTV tuners
undoubtedly work better than others. Some might just
have a cheap ATSC tuner just to meet the letter of the FCC
mandate. I'm confident that eventually all will become
about equivalent in capability, as NTSC tuners did.

The interesting thing about this is that indeed, these
integrated "US DTV standard" front ends are being
announced. In spite of all the nay-saying on this
topic, from the usual suspects on this august list.
These tuners will allow people with HDTV sets to
receive HDTV even if their multichannel provider is
not relaying some of the HD available in the market.
In spite of what Craig likes to say, I keep reading
that there are many out there who want this feature.