[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:35:57 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

I had written:

> > My real message was, why do you feel you
> > must have a single champion to "save DTT"?
>
> Your real message?? In the military they use the
> term "Mission Creep", which describes the
> changing of ones stated goals until the true
> objective is achieved. In your case I'll call it
> "Message Creep" where your real objective seems
> simply to win the debate.

Well, you can see it that way if you wish.

The way I see it, you were convinced until the
LG tests in NYC that 8-VSB could never work right.
Even after seeing the CRC's test results of the
Linx from way back in April 2002, and their field
test results from March of 2003. Not to mention
Linx's own tests and MSTV's, of course.

Then, after the LG test in NYC, you seem to have
decided that only with the LG receiver can 8-VSB
work right. That's how I interpreted your "So much
for LG to be the savior of DTT," or words to that
effect.

I was and am puzzled why you feel that only one
good answer exists.

> Has Micronas announced a new 8VSB product?  Not
> that I'm aware of at least.

Micronas announced that they were going to apply
their diversity tuning techniques to ATSC as
well. To me, that indicates that they will provide
a product.

In any event, I can't fathom why anyone would be
so negative about the existence of decent 8-VSB
receivers when two completely independent efforts
have already created such.