[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:01:06 -0500

At 12:43 PM -0800 11/16/04, Dale Kelly wrote:

>Interesting. So Congressional/FCC action made the cable STB unprofitable and
>thereby moved that industry to propose DTV Plug and Play. Now I know the
>"rest of the story".

NOT EXACTLY.

The boxes are STILL profitable. Why else would the CE industry want
to get a shot at it?

The reality is that the cable industry has been protecting its
vendors from competition for more than a decade. ironically, many
integrated ATSC/Cable receivers will STILL need a STB from the cable
company, IF you want advanced services like VOD and PVR.

What this tells us is that even COngress has a tough time getting
industries to open up their monopolies to competitors.