[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:12:23 -0500

John,

Please re-read what I wrote.

704x480i in 16:9 is a valid ATSC format (yes I know table 3 was not adopted by the FCC) but it is not currently used by a single broadcaster in the United States. I said it would never be used. I said that perhaps 480p 16:9 would be used, but 480p is ED, not SD.

I said that the only 16:9 native format IN PRACTICAL USE will be HD content. That includes 720p60, 1080i30, 1080p24, and 1080p30. For cable, that could also include 1080p60 using advanced codecs.

Thank you for reading the entire post, not just what jumps out at you as wrong.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>