[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 12:32:45 -0500

But increasingly I don't think they are making many 480p flat panels even at 24" or bigger. I suspect you will find it hard to find new 480 line models at that size less than 720p in a couple years except for legacy CRT's if there are any.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 11:16 AM -0400 10/31/07, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

The real bottom line here is that (a) virtually all new sets sold are in
fact HDTV sets these days, and (b) more than half of these are now, and
WILL be, used to watch HDTV. So whatever the current snapshot in time
might say about US households watching HDTV now, the inescapable fact
from this article is that we are trending to at least a 50 percent
figure of HDTV usage by US households, which is huge.

Bert, Bert, Bert.

Just because a receiver has the ability to make picture from all of the ATSC formats DOES NOT make it an HDTV set. If your lucky, you will at least be able to see all of a 16:9 wide-screen program. But the benefits of HDTV can only be realized when you have a big screen - otherwise, we could all get by with 640 x 480P.

The average size of displays being sold today is still below 30" diagonal. When the average gets above 40" let me know. Then, and only then, will it be possible to say that "the majority of new sets sold are in fact HDTV sets...

P.S. and let me know when 50% of all content delivered by broadcasters and cable is 720P or better...

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx