[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:23:35 -0500

I really don't want to get involved with the childish name-calling on
this thread, but I have a few questions/comments.

Since when were AM studios not "high fidelity?"  High Fidelity is
admittedly a weasel-word, but every AM station I've ever been involved
with had frequency response much better than 5kc.  It should (and did)
sound quite good when simulcast on FM.

Similarly, when were television aural exciters not "high fidelity?"
Unless they had a 5k STL link, there is no reason to expect that most of
that 15k audio delivered via diplexing wouldn't get transmitted.  (It IS
fair to ask if that audio could be heard out of receiver, but that is a
different matter.)  Yes, BTSC stereo wasn't available until the 80's,
and an outboard BTSC encoder probably wasn't very attractive, but "high
fidelity" mono audio was available long before then.  By the way, the
FCC approved the BTSC system in 1984.  Portions of the Summer Olympics
in Los Angeles that year were produced in stereo, but were never heard
that way in the US.  I remember watching/listening to "Miami Vice" in
stereo in 1985.

Settle down, kids...

Ken

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you
are not the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are
not the intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or
taking any action based on this message is strictly prohibited.