[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:02:04 -0800

I'm not familiar with Fred at KUSI, the last time I checked, C.R. Large was
the CE.  I suspect Fred merely answers the phone; Dick Large isn't that easy
to get ahold of.

Jeremy is probably at home, but his skype status is as of this moment,
"Away."  I won't bother him except that I just sent him an IM asking him to
respond to your voice mail message.  (He just responded, he's at home, doing
some repair work, and appararently can't get vm until he's at the office.
Somehow, I think repairing the leaking toilet takes priority.)

Here's KYES-DT setting for video on program 1 as of last night:
MPEG Video: Bitrate 5.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's KYES-DT settings for video on program 3 as of last night:
MPEG Video: Bitrate 5.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format reserved

Here's the video parameters for program 2 on KAKM (PBS) in Anchorage as of
10/20/2007 at 06:50:54 gmt:
MPEG Video: Bitrate 12.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's the video paramters for program 3 on the KAKM, as of the same date
and time:
MPEG Video: Bitrate 12.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's the video parameters for program 3 on KIMO-DT (ch 13) as of
10/20/2007 16:35:16 gmt
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's the video parameters for program 3 on KWBX-DT (ch 13, same transport
as the item immediately above) on the same date at time as above
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's the video parameters for program 2 on KCET (PBS, LA) as of 10/26/2007
03:20:15 GMT
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Same station, same time, program 3
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Same station, same time, program 4
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's the video parameters for KNBC (NBC o&o), program 4, as of 10/26/2007
02:56:00 gmt
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Here's the video parameters for KNSD (NBC operated but not fully owned, San
Diego) on program 4 as of 10/26/2007 03:14:13 GMT
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

There's another one in Alaska that seems to be 704, but they haven't set
their parameters correctly.  These are just the captures on my harddrive; I
did find two 720 streams.

I've also seen 704x480 video in San Francisco (on the ABC o&o there, plus
two others).

I've seen captures from Washington, DC stations that have 704 video.

Unfortunately, I am to close to KUSI-DT to capture a stream there at this
moment, and I don't have a capture from them at this moment, since they're
at my apartment, and I am not.

I don't make this up, John.  You did. You know Lansing.  I know just a bit
more.

Have at it, call all them up and ask them why they're not following your
prediction: but I don't care about Freds, without other information.

You see, John, in my business, we deal in facts.

John Willkie, who has seen 704 video in every market that he has ever
captured video in.