[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:53:12 -0400

Sam Churchill wrote:

> I'm a consumer, not an engineer...so answer me this:
>=20
> I live in an apartment downtown without cable. Why can't I=20
> get ATSC? It
> doesn't work.

Trying to answer before the customary flaming starts ...

Depends on exact circumstances, and the situation appears
to be improving with upcoming receiver chips.

> Why can't the United States duplicate the UK's success with=20
> off-the-air
> FreeView on a $99 settop?

I think, aside from the COFDM vs 8-VSB difference, that the
UK benefitted from the ONdigital OTA pay TV service. The
service failed, but it did create a market for STBs. The
Freeview service that followed got a jumpstart from this
large inventory of existing boxes. The success of Freeview
kept the market going, so the price had a chance to continue
to drop.

> PLEASE tell me the reason is NOT because there were no=20
> royalty bucks for
> ATSC if they adopted COFDM.

The reason for 8-VSB appears to be exactly what you state.

However, all is not lost. Single carrier schemes have their
own advantages, and it seems to me that we can make the
most of these advantages if we keep at it.

For example, as equalizers get better, we will end up with
a standard that eeks out more spectral efficiency than the
competition, meaning more bit rate for the same amount of
spectrum. So it's worth the science experiment.

> Consumers aren't stupid. ATSC screwed up.
> Am I missing something or am I telling the truth?
>=20
> You tell me.

That's my opinion.