[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:29:21 -0700

At 12:00 PM -0400 4/19/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>So you'd rather leave your laptop on for 24 hours or so and *HOPE* that the
>information you want is being datacast and gets cached on your hard drive.
>Yeah, that sure is "Anywhere, Anytime" all right!

Thanks for the great set-up.

First, I do leave my laptop on 24/7. In a world where services are
broadcast 24/7 it makes sense to capture the services you want on a
24/7 basis.

BUT. If I enter a new "market," like here is Las Vegas, it should be
obvious that I cannot start caching any service until I arrive.
Actually I might download a service I want - like a directory -
before I get to the market via the Internet, but let's ignore this
for the moment).

If I am the provider of a service that is delivered via data
broadcasts, I have control over the way that service is built,
delivered, and updated. The frequency of the data broadcasts will
most likely be determined by the nature of the service I am
providing, and the size of the "database" that I am trying to build
and update in the receivers that "subscribe" too my service. I use
the term "subscribe," because it should be equally obvious that I
cannot capture everything that is available. I will subscribe to the
stuff I want.

I might also "subscribe" in the traditional sense, to paid
(encrypted) services, that are available on a local, regional or
national basis. The key here is that, as a service provider, I can
buy access to markets, much as TV advertisers do today. But in the
world I envision, I would be paying market rates for the delivery of
my bits, preferably to the regional spectrum utilities, rather than
local broadcast gatekeepers who could set the rates and deny me
access to the market for competitive reasons.

If I am delivering very large databases - for example the multimedia
equivalent of the yellow pages, it is likely that I will only deliver
the entire database once or a few times per day, most likely during
the time periods when bits are cheapest. But I still could provide
updates of the database as needed at any time, since the updates
would be relatively small.

Another example. I want to publish a restaurant guide. I will most
likely offer a stripped down version at a high frequency to serve
people like myself who are arriving in a market and need the info
quickly. Once I  arrive and subscribe to the guide, it can be updated
and enhanced to the level I need. Here in Vegas I would expect that
cabs would subscribe to various guides, which could be accessed by
patrons via an interactive LCD terminal. The databases could be quite
large, since they would be stored in local cache, and they could be
updated at any time with new information, such as the daily specials
that a restaurant will be serving that night.

And as I alluded to before, these services can also be offered via
other distribution channels such as the Internet. Thus I might
download guides before I arrive in a city; when I arrive I would
start receiving updates via the OTA broadcast network for that market.

Bottom line...

Look at this stuff with an open mind annd an eye toward real innovation...

This is not your grandpa's NTSC broadcast system!