[opendtv] Re: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:11:45 -0700

Bert wrote:
>I thought the idea was that the OTA tuner mandate would go
>hand in hand with the cable tuner agreement? Otherwise,
>stand-alone, it makes no sense.

The FCC made ATSC receiver/decoders mandatory. The FCC approved the CEA-NCTA
plug-and-play agreement that allows uni-directional digital cable
receivers/decoders. Note the distinction between "mandatory" and "allows." You
might think this situation would automatically mean that all integrated DTV
sets will be digital cable-ready, but that isn't necessarily the case -- at
least not until there is a two-way plug-and-play agreement, and the complete
STB functionality can be built into the TV set.

The FCC was also very specific in closing the door on a digital-cable-only
option. If the product has a TV tuner of any kind, it must include OTA ATSC
capability at a minimum.

-- Frank