[opendtv] Re: MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:46:02 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I think Mark Schubin indicated that new cameras are available now with
sensors the size of 35mm movie film frames (18mm X 24mm). That should
take a lot of cost out of the lens, and should make those cameras good
candidates for 1080p acquisition.

No, it increases the cost of the lens.

How much a lens costs is a matter of many factors (including what the market will bear), but Bert's point, I believe, is that, for equivalent resolutions, larger imagers require less MTF from lenses to achieve the same overall MTF as smaller imager-lens combinations.

Here are some numbers:

Panasonic's AG-HSC1 (1080-line with spatial offset, 1/4-inch imagers) - 245 lp/mm NHK's Super Hi-Vision II (4320-line) - 240 line pairs/mm at maximum resolution
1/3-inch 1080-line cameras - 184 lp/mm
1/2-inch 1080-line cameras - 138 lp/mm
2/3-inch 1080-line cameras - 100 lp/mm
Red One (2540-line, 35-mm size) - 93 lp/mm
1-inch 1080-line cameras - 69 lp/mm
ARRI D20 (2200 line, 35-mm sized) - 61 lp/mm
Dalsa Origin, Evolution (2048-line, 35-mm sized) - 60 lp/mm
Vision Research Phantom HD (1080-line, 35-mm sized) - 40 lp/mm

You'll find a more-complete chart in my camera article in the May issue of Videography magazine.

TTFN,
Mark