[opendtv] Re: MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:37:18 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I think Mark Schubin indicated that new cameras are
>> available now with sensors the size of 35mm movie film
>> frames (18mm X 24mm). That should take a lot of cost
>> out of the lens, and should make those cameras good
>> candidates for 1080p acquisition.
>
> No, it increases the cost of the lens.

Wrong, Craig. You can find any number of consumer-grade 35mm lenses good
for as much as 100 lines/mm at the image center, and maybe half that
much at the edges. The ones I'm referring to are for 35mm still cameras,
so they are for 24mm X 36mm film frames. They would provide very good
performance in the smaller movie frame. I assume 35mm movie cameras can
benefit from the same lens technology. (Nikon, Carl Zeiss, Schneider are
some good brand names.)

Do the math, and you'll see that a lens capable of 70 lines/mm or so,
making that an average figure across the frame, is capable of about 16
Mpels of image resolution. Plenty adequate for 1080p, and at a cost
(street value) of only a few hundred $.

And the large image area promotes good MTF, because it allows wide
spacing between pixels in the sensor.

> You keep saying this, but we are still a LONG LONG way
> from having compression efficiency that can DELIVER the
> extra detail in 1080@60P with enough headroom for the
> peak bit rates needed.

As I said, 2.25X better than what we do now with H.262. If you think we
are a long way from that, you must not have a lot of faith in H.264 and
its upcoming tweaks. Either that, or you have computed some other factor
and not divulged the information or how you arrived at the figure.