[opendtv] Re: MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:33:58 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> It is just the current channel bandwidth and source detail
> limitations that makes me say we are not ready for 1080p
> transmission yet.

By source detail limitations, I assume you mean with current HDTV
cameras, right? I would assume that current HDTV cameras are probably
limited to what the manufacturers think they can sell, at an attractive
price, to meet the needs of either 720/60p or 1080/60i. So my thinking
all along has been that arguing that cameras are not good enough for
1080/60p is a bit or a circular argument.

I think Mark Schubin indicated that new cameras are available now with
sensors the size of 35mm movie film frames (18mm X 24mm). That should
take a lot of cost out of the lens, and should make those cameras good
candidates for 1080p acquisition.

> But 1080p displays will become the standard now simply
> because technology will now allow them at reasonable costs.
> And you can easily see the difference if you walk close to
> the screen, even if you don't sit there.

The transmission channel should become adequate as well. Whether or not
broadcasters will use it for 1080/60p transmission will no doubt depend
on where consumers go with their future TV purchasing habits. Certainly,
comparing what consumers are doing today, with what they were doing in
1995, should give anyone pause.