[opendtv] Re: MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:47:33 -0400

Isn't it ironic...

We just went through this tread about the need to move to the bandwidth hungry 108@60P format, with several people noting that there is plenty of headroom to increase the bit rate in existing channels.

Yet Freeview has no future without HDTV?

We already know that they can significantly increase the bandwidth in their existing system when the spectrum is recovered, simply by moving to higher power and a more bit efficient mode of DVB. ANd we know that they can use gap fillers and other techniques to improve spectral efficiency. And we know that many of the services that are carried today at a bit rate of about 5 Mbps will become HD services in the near future, albeit requiring 2-3 times the bandwidth to deliver good quality HD. Seems to me that this is just the same old political posturing to hold onto as much spectrum as possible...

it just took the Brits an extra 20 years to utilize the argument created by broadcasters in the U.S. to hold onto THEIR spectrum...

HD that the ticket!

At 10:41 AM -0400 5/17/07, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
My take on this is that for Freeview to remain a viable medium in the
future, it will have to accommodate HDTV. But at this stage, there seems
to be no will on the part of regulators or lawmakers to do anything but
sell the freed up spectrum to the highest bidder, just like here in the
US.

Perhaps the latest tweaks of H.264 would allow for HDTV in the same
spectrum Freeview has today, if a wholesale migration to H.264 for SD
and HD were initiated tout de suite, and all new receivers were made
compatible with HDTV signal reception.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2434

MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

An all-party committee of MPs is backing media regulator Ofcom's stance
on the auctioning of spectrum liberated by digital switchover. An
alliance of public service broadcasters, consumer electronics
manufacturers and retailers is lobbying for spectrum to be set aside for
high-definition broadcasts on the digital terrestrial platform. Without
an intervention by ministers, the HD for All alliance says Freeview's
future will be undermined.

MPs on the Commons media select committee heard evidence from across the
industry and have concluded in their report, New Media and Creative
Industries, that "a persuasive case has yet been made to justify
reserving spectrum for high definition television following digital
switchover".

The report says committee members "endorse Ofcom's approach in not
favouring any particular technology or application in the framework
being drawn up for re-allocation of spectrum under the digital dividend
review (DDR). However, we do recognise the special case of the
programme-making and special events (PMSE) sector which risks losing
access to spectrum it has traditionally enjoyed as a result of
switch-off and we believe that it is essential that an acceptable
solution to their difficulties be found."

The report adds: "The DDR is complex and its outcome will have
far-reaching consequences; we accept that Ofcom should not be pressured
into taking hasty decisions. But it should bear in mind that delays in
reaching decisions in the DDR process create uncertainty for all and can
have adverse economic consequences for some. We shall be addressing the
DDR further as our current inquiry into public service media content
evolves."

Last month Ofcom CEO Ed Richards said the regulator would conduct more
research into viewers' expectations of high-definition television before
considering its response to a consultation on the future of liberated
spectrum.

Lovelace Consulting 17.05.2007