[opendtv] Re: MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 18:20:02 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

> If 1080p display sales are perceived as causing a surge in
> the "transition" it is for the wrong reason.
>
> Most, if not all consumers who buy these displays now think
> they are watching 1080p because thats what it says on the
> display.

I don't know whether the 1080p displays are actually causing a surge of
interest, as opposed to the much more reasonable prices charged these
days for flat panels, but I don't think it's all that wrong to say that
folks with 1080p displays are watching HDTV in 1080p. The display
oversamples the signal, so the image is actually better.

It is very much like DVD players with progressive outputs, or DVDs
watched on a deinterlaced monitor. You are watching a 480p version of
the DVD content, even though that content could be even better if the
DVD itself had been recorded and transmitted as 480p. It's just an
oversampling display.

We're starting to look at 42" LCD TVs. I've seen some very reasonably
priced ones in both 720p and 1080p. If the price delta is only a couple
of hundreds of $, it makes no sense to buy the 720p display, to me.

When CDs first came out, I waited until 4X oversampling players with
16-bit converters became available. Seemed better than going for the
44.1 KHz players and their brick wall filters. This is very much the
same thing.