[opendtv] Re: MPs back Ofcom stance on spectrum sale

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 12:32:42 -0400

At 6:04 PM -0400 5/25/07, Tom Barry wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 I'm really growing tired of the numerology arguments. What I want is
 good HDTV, delivered without excessive distortions, and it does not take
 1080 lines to do this.

Let's reiterate the distinction between display and emission resolution.

I think to get to big screen sizes we already can make use of 1080p displays to get big and 'immersed' without seeing the raster at closer distances.

You can, but that's not the way people will use these displays for TV applications. The physics say that we do not need 1080 line until the screen size is greater than 70 inch diagonal ( actually closer to 100 inch, but I'm giving the numerology addicts the benefit of the doubt here). The immersion comes form the wide viewing angle at a comfortable viewing distance - people will not sit close enough to a smaller (<70 inch diagonal) display to achieve achieve the needed viewing angle.

It is just the current channel bandwidth and source detail limitations that makes me say we are not ready for 1080p transmission yet.

It's the display size that drive the requirement. A DTV system should not be optimized for the tiny percentage of viewers with very large displays.

But 1080p displays will become the standard now simply because technology will now allow them at reasonable costs. And you can easily see the difference if you walk close to the screen, even if you don't sit there.

I think you are mistaken about this. I agree we will see 1080P available in displays larger than 50" diagonal. But they will continue to be sold as premium products alongside lower resolution displays that will be cheaper to manufacture.

Walking up close to the screen is irrelevant, although there is some evidence that consumer do this when they are in stores making the purchase - but when they get it home they then sit at the preferred viewing distance, not close to the display.

The one argument in favor of 1080P displays is that oversampling in the display is a good thing. But it comes with a price.