[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:32:16 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

IIRC, they're offering 16-20 linear video (each with two audio) program
services, plus 'clip channels' and a handful of audio and data services in a
multiplex that occupies a 6-mhz channel using 22 or so MBPS per mux.

In strong signal areas, the frame rate is 24 or 30 per second; otherwise, it's
12 to 15 per second.  But, remember that those video channels at best are half
the resolution of NTSC, but with image sharpening technology.

Remember: people don't watch technology, and they tend to seek quality when it
is available and has a wide variety of content.  (This includes the betamax
argument, since it wasn't widely available and had limited variety of content.)