[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:42:34 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Funny I spent a year trying to find a way to buy "the good
> ones" from LG or any other vendor but was unsuccessful.
> Tell me how you do this trick please.

No problem. You just have to make the right deal. You can go ask DirecTV
how they managed, because they sell proper LG 5th gen STBs, even though
LG refused to sell us OTA users a non-DBS version of that same box. It's
all about $, Bob. You wave the right number of crisp bills and you'll
get your box.

> A robust 1.5 Mbps that may be available in a few years
> coupled with a still lousy 8-VSB 13.39 Mbps does not compare
> favorably with anything COFDM and I think a cave man would
> be able to tell the difference. Haven't you seen the
> commercials? Give those guys a break.

I don't know what commercials you mean, but I am still comparing apples
with apples. The Dotcast Moviebeam scheme works because the subscribers
are vetted by the company. And it requires a lot more signal umph than a
regular 8-VSB scheme would require, for much less channel usefulness
than an 8-VSB version.

> Compare COFDM to A-VSB over the full 6 MHz channel.

I did.

And I also know that plain old 8-VSB reception can be improved using
techniques that don't require A-VSB. We have discussed this many times
in the past. I was rather glad to see the SRS mode of A-VSB, because it
is closely related to one technique I mentioned some time ago, to use
the 4-symbol segment sync sequence to assist in training. Also, you saw
the significant improvement resulting from a diversity antenna.

There are things that can be done to make plain old 8-VSB better. The
only reason they don't make it to market in a half-way reasonable amount
of time is because manufacturers of CE equipment for the US market know
they can very easily coerce US consumers to get addicted to a
subscription service, and the retailers are happy to get the kickbacks
for helping to make this happen.

How many times have we been told, even on this site, that this is what
consumers want? Consumers want to become addicted. Consumers want the
rented umbillical STB. Consumers want the monthly bill. Haven't you been
listening?