[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:46:23 -0500

On 11/10/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Shutt wrote:

> Bob had 5th gen LG boxes, using the same LG block that is in the
> DirecTV boxes. Bob's problem was that those "5th generation"
> chips didn't work nearly as well as the prototype "Cold Fusion"
> 5th generation box that got both Mark Schubin and Sinclair so
> darned excited two years ago.

I know he tried some no-name clones with the 5th gen LG chip, and that
those clones didn't do "as well as" the prototype. But that doesn't mean
they are crap, either. We have all surmised the reason to be that they
weren't using the better tuner designs.

AND

The 5th gen LG-based USB receivers for PCs have been reviewed by the
trade press on several occasions, and they all do very well. I keep
repeating, over and over, that reception of TV stations from 80 Km using
only a (single) indoor antenna, reliably, from these LG 5th gen-based
designs is nothing to sneeze at.

AND

The 5th gen LG do not measure as well as the Samsung Gemini in certain
very key areas.

AND

The training techniques used in 5th gen sets can also be improved upon,
at least as far as I know, even without changing anything in the bit
stream.

Put all of this together and it is ridiculous to think that the only way
to get acceptable DTT here is to use only A-VSB. That's just the sort of
annoying rhetoric certain politicians seem to crave. I try to ignore it
and not respond to it. I try.

A-VSB is instead comparable to either HM or to 16-QAM modes in COFDM.

For example, tuning the spectral efficiency down gradually to increase
robustness, using the SRS mode of A-VSB, is very similar to increasing
FEC in COFDM, and even backing down to 16-QAM. Same gradual improvement
in robustness.

Yes, A-VSB can be used. No, it is not mandatory. And if you are after
spectral efficiency, you want to minimize use of A-VSB.

Bert

Minimal use of both 8-VSB and A-VSB is recommended and most likely.

Bob Miller