[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:24:09 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

What is confusing to you here, Tom?  Qualcomm is offering (or will be within a
few months or a year or whenever) 1.5 mbps video mobile video channels 320x240.
 For $15 per month.  It's highly likely that A-VSB services will (start out at
least) as free to air.  Guess which one will win out on that ground?

Have you ever considered the size of screens that will be most commonly used
for mobile video?  Let's say for the time being that few to none will be
1080x1920, or even 1/5th that size.  Probably for a very long time ...

I would think that A-VSB mobile video will be mutually exclusive (on the same
transport) with HDTV, and probably will be mutually exclusive with data
broadcasting.  (I can't say why at this point.)  It's just another arrow in the
increasingly flexible ATSC quiver.

One also needs to consider the ability to offer an "associated small screen
service" as hierarchical video. In other words, where some of the mobile video
is usable in fixed locations to augment the main video service. These are
application-layer issues: first the transport-layer issues need to be resolved,
which are "probably" being addressed as I write.

The latest revision of the A/53d (dtv) and A/65c (PSIP) specifications already
contemplate associated or free-standing video services.