[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:28:27 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I have on several occasions talked about the
> number of synchronized transmitters it would take
> to cover the core New York market.

And I've consistently tried to move these discussions
from vague generalities to specifics. Because when it
comes to declaring something "well designed," the
devil is in the details.

The end result of your ideas becomes wide area,
synchronized, multiple tower SFNs. Designs that so
far, no matter what the modulation scheme, DTT
systems all over the world have made a point of
avoiding. Which is why when these notions are
mentioned carelessly, as if they were going to be
the salvation of us all, I raise a red flag.

In this country especially, where market areas are
very large and where broadcasters are private
businesses, it's unlikely that high cost
infrastructures will be preferred for FOTA TV.

Just putting things in context.