[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:36:33 -0400

Frank Eory wrote:

> You don't get it Bert. It's not as simple as determining
> the unit cost in mega-volumes. It's the fact that there
> is no demand for mega-volumes, so the unit cost is
> heavily burdened with NRE. It makes little difference
> whether it's a Cold Fusion box or a ho-hum box - both are
> prohibitively expensive when there is so little demand.
> Most CE and semiconductor companies have better things to
> do with their money & manpower than to invest in
> developing products that have so little probability of
> real ROI.

And we were doing so well until this last paragraph.

Of course I "get it," that volume demand makes all the
difference, and of course that's why I've repeated many
times that a date certain is important here as it was in
Germany. Both places where volume demand was nonexistent.

The fact is, though, that ATSC boxes exist today, at
prices of around $200 up to $300, even without a date set.
From your other comments, it seems you agree that the
*cost* delta between a high quality box and those we can
buy today is not astronomical, as some folk like to
imply. I understand perfectly well that CE manufacturers
are not interested in spending a penny producing and
marketing these high quality boxes, though, as things are
now.