[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:13:16 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eory Frank-p22212" <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> It's not as simple as determining the unit cost in mega-volumes.
> It's the fact that there is no demand for mega-volumes, so the
> unit cost is heavily burdened with NRE. It makes little difference
> whether it's a Cold Fusion box or a ho-hum box - both are
> prohibitively expensive when there is so little demand. Most
> CE and semiconductor companies have better things to do
> with their money & manpower than to invest in developing
> products that have so little probability of real ROI.
>
> -- Frank

Frank,

If the US were to switch to DVB-T COFDM, would there be enough similarities
with a US DVB and an Australian HD DVB set top box to justify a company
building them for the US market, even given the same demand level as ATSC?

I think it would be much more likely to be able to "piggy back" the R&D that
went into those Australian HD devices, and have product available here.

John